1984 by George Orwell - Book review



One word. Frightening.

Ocenia, one of the dystopian superstates in a futuristic world, where war is propagated and elevated. Citizens are subjugated and freedom is denied, to the extend that having an independent thought is treason. "Thoughtcriminals" are either sent to the labour camps or eliminated. Facecrime - a nervous tic, an unconscious look of anxiety, improper expression on the face -  is a punishable offence.

Emotions and desires are checked, physical attraction between man and woman is prohibited. Suppressing the sex instinct (the anti-sex league make sure celibacy between both sexes is maintained), artificial insemination is the process of procreation.

There is one and only one purpose - to live and serve the Party. In the midst of such a diabolic totalitarianism, two rebel lovers emerge who would secretly break the rules and express their desires. And therefore, will pay the price.⁣

The most interesting thing I came across in this book was the Records Department engaging in destruction of words to make the dictionary shorter by eliminating verbs and adjectives, ambiguous words, synonyms and antonyms. For instance, instead of using a different word "bad" as an antonym for "good", " ungood" is to be used. And likewise "plusgood" and "doubleplusgood" as synonyms for "excellent" and "splendid". 😁

The purpose is to eliminate similar words and meanings inorder to retard provocation of thought and prevent stimulation of the mind. To curb independent thought basically. That's was a crazy idea😬😬 ⁣

This is one of the books that I've read that got me into reading. It made me alert and conscious of my rights as a human being. It made me aware of the dangers of totalitarianism and how it can erase humanity from humans.

But what really got me was the possibility of losing our minds during such times. How from a conscious and thinking man, one can become like a robot and behave mechanically. This got me so freaked out because it may be happening to us right now. We do very little thinking nowadays. We are fed with news and feeds 24x7. Everything we want to know is at our fingertips. One click away. AI has captured our cognitive Intelligence, doing the thinking for us now. We have lost our critical thinking. Do you really think the  common people are using their brains today? I don't think so.

This book got me so scared I decided to do something about it because I thought I might have lost my mind too. And I figured the only way I can keep my mind working and sane was to read books. I have been reading ever since πŸ˜€πŸ“š

https://www.instagram.com/p/BnEUgHQhSS8/?igshid=1cco9rti70iaj

Comments

  1. Oh nice. I really like this one. Especially when you share about some unique writing style tactics that an author used. I also like that you shared your personal thoughts on digital society's thinking process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading the blog and sharing your opinion. I really appreciate it😊

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Obstacle is the way by Ryan Holiday - book review

Book Review | Part 2 | The Year Of Less by Cait Flanders

My name is red by Organ Pamuk - Book review