Review of "all the light we cannot see" by Anthony doerr




"The brain is locked in total darkness. It floats in a clear liquid inside the skull, never in the light. And yet the world it constructs in the mind is full of light. It brims with color and movement."⁣⁣
⁣⁣
This is a historical fiction based on WW II with the occupation of France as the main setting. Like most war stories, there is grief. Lots of it. It consist of multiple characters written in third person's perspective with each character having its own story that's unique and gripping. I liked how, in the book, people kind of just brush by but left huge impact in each other's life. I liked how Marie-Laure described the world through her senses. She definitely saw the world in a better light than the others with their eyes open. ⁣⁣⁣
⁣⁣⁣
My favourite character, however, was Marie-Laure's dad, Daniel Leblanc, who made a miniature model of Paris to help her study the city. He knew, at some point, she will have to go out of the house on her own. He was preparing her for what the war was about to bring. ⁣⁣⁣
⁣⁣⁣
Also I happen to know someone who used to make miniature houses. That made it extra special for me to read and embrace this character. ⁣⁣⁣
⁣⁣⁣
It was a slow read for me because I found the language a bit complicated with French and German words often  thrown in. I had to look up for words in almost every page. The very short chapters, however, helped to keep turning pages. But these are the kind of books you end up not just reading but learning. ⁣

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Obstacle is the way by Ryan Holiday - book review

Book Review | Part 2 | The Year Of Less by Cait Flanders

My name is red by Organ Pamuk - Book review